Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Where Have All The Epic Guitar Solo's Gone?

Driving the family van on the weekend, trying to get three toddlers to take a nap and listening to country radio to lull them to sleep. It occurs to me that despite all the amazing players and talent in Nashville, I never get the urge to air guitar when a big guitar solo comes up. Then it hits me - this might be because there just aren't any big guitar solo's anymore!! Whatever happened to the Jimmy Page's, Jimi Hendrix's, Eddie Van Halen's and David Gilmour's of the music world? Has pop music finally killed the guitar hero?? Everyone I know loves to throw their hands up and pretend to be a crazy guitar god when Eruption comes on the radio - but there are not many inspiring guitar moments on the radio these days. I miss it! Anyone else? I know I'm not hip anymore, and I'm sure we'll hear from someone about the latest and the greatest player out there, but really, how is it possible that music has been robbed of the joy that takes place in a young man's heart when he lifts up his imaginary axe to shred until his fingers fall off? Pop music is really missing out. FYI I am totally aware that there are now far better guitar players than the old guys - but we never get to hear them really show up. Pity. Nevertheless. Lets hear from you. Your favorite air guitar solo of all time?

No comments: